Thursday, June 18, 2009

OK, I am a softie

I had a very touching moment with my daughter tonight. (Sorry J, the other one.) In order for it to make any sense to most folk, I have to copy the story here. If you know it, skip to the end, if you dont, please read it.
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod (Dutch Lullaby)
by Eugene Field (1850-1895)

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe---
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea;
Nets of silver and gold have we!"
Said Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

The old moon laughed and sang a song,
As they rocked in the wooden shoe,
And the wind that sped them all night long
Ruffled the waves of dew.
The little stars were the herring fish
That lived in that beautiful sea---
"Now cast your nets wherever you wish---
Never afeard are we";
So cried the stars to the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.
All night long their nets they threw
To the stars in the twinkling foam---
Then down from the skies came the wooden shoe,
Bringing the fishermen home;
'T was all so pretty a sail it seemed
As if it could not be,
And some folks thought 't was a dream they 'd dreamed
Of sailing that beautiful sea---
But I shall name you the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
Is a wee one's trundle-bed.
So shut your eyes while mother sings
Of wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see the beautiful things
As you rock in the misty sea,
Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

Alright, The background story is that I read that lullaby to my girl nightly for a very long time when she was an infant. It put her to sleep and always with a smile.
Unknown to me, like most kids, she had completely forgotten it. Awhile back, I gave her a box of stuff that I had been saving since she was born. Originally I was to save it till she was older but with her being so far away and my life in turmoil, I jumped the gun a bit.
I guess girlie finally got around to opening the book. It was a bitter sweet moment.
She actually started crying because she remembered it. Which of course made it really odd when I got something in my eye which caused them both to tear...Wild coincidence huh?
It's strange the things that can bring us closer together. A silly old book, a surprise phone call, the odd mail. Little, simple things that just tweak a nerve. Letting those we love most know that they are really loved and appreciated.
I am sure you all know this but just in case a reminder is needed......
Sorry, this is sappier than usual but it was needed. As my friend Bear noted, writing on here does me a world of good.
Daisy, J, much love to you both. Somehow, I don't think telling my other daughter about this site would be a great Idea....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Peace,
Davey

10 comments:

Davey said...

No copyright laws were violated, I gave full credit to the author, even if he is quite dead. I wanted noted, I took no credit for his work. LOL

Daisychain said...

Oh, baby, I know how much it hurts you to be separated from your daughter.
And I know the powerful bittersweet memories that poem evokes in you.
I love you so much darling. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saffron said...

Davey, that was beautiful! You know, these things are so important. These memories. And I'm betting one day she will be reading the same book to her kids...and remembering that her dad did the same for her and how loved she is...and so an amazing amazing tradition born out of love is started.

I'm so glad Jay met you and Daisy. Its never too late to have a happy childhood! I listen to my mama in Aussies songs often...and my Dads...and when I hear their voices, its like I was back in their house with them singing to me, over me...or just generally singing. It always makes me feel safe and brings me back down to earth. I'm guessing this is a similar thing.

Huggggggggssssssss!

Meow said...

Beautiful, Davey! Meow

ronnie said...

That was beautiful Davey, your daughter is a lucky girl. Don't know how old your daughter is but I think she will now treasure this book always and read it to her own children. It's so good to have memories.

Love.
Ronnie
xx

Jay Walker said...

Hi dad.
I love that poem too, though i heard it in a film when i was a teen.
love you loads, Jay

Anonymous said...

aww thats so sweet, sounds like your a great dad your daughter is lucky to have you :)

ronnie said...

Davey, did you remove a post? Different title showing on my reader?

Love.
Ronnie
xx

Tiggs said...

My first question is the same as Ronnie's...

But as to the post, and the story above, well, you share so much of yourself here that I'm not entirely sure your daughter wouldn't someday appreciate even this. Though I AM sure that now is not the time, lol. And I do admittedly spend my time in a fantasy world where all people are accepted for all their uniquenesses!

Love you much!

Davey said...

Yes dear friends, I removed a post..I wrote it, posted it and then decided it was a bad idea...
Thank youu for all your lovely comments
xo,
Davey