Monday, August 31, 2009

Fundamental Differences....The other side

Hello Peoples,
Dearest Daisy has posted a very interesting entry about some differences between American and English. I would like to take this moment to put my 2 cents in....(oh dear, is that an American phrase?)
Incentivized is a word I have never even heard of... Spell check says it does not exist...LOL "My Bad" is just a slang phrase started in a movie, I believe.
The word that caused the most blushes and a lot of laughter was Fanny. In American, it is a silly word to describe the ass, arse. Apparently in The Queen's English it is a naughty word for the female yummy. (sorry, almost blushed.)
So you can imagine when I said I was going to spank her fanny, Daisy got quite worried. I had no idea of the difference in meaning. In America we have a chocolate company called "Fanny Farmer" In the Queen's English that would have a totally different meaning.... Fannie Flagg is an actress/Author..Hmmm
As for my apparent Chivalry, it is actually all I know. I realize that Chivalry is also an English term but we do borrow freely...LOL It is a completely natural reaction for me to open a door, pull a chair. Basic rules of politeness. My friend Bear commented on Daisy's Blog That Chivalry is not dead there either. I believe him. He and I can not be the last 2 men in the world that believe that women should be treated in a royal fashion. The fact of the matter is, without Women, life wouldn't be worth much.
Now, before anyone thinks they have found a weakness....Treating a well mannered, not bratting woman as royalty is totally natural to me. When my Daisy brats , I will always hold the door for her but I will sting her sweet ass on the way through it. Love the flashback look in her eyes when she sits on the common hard chair of most eateries.
NOW A COUPLE OF OTHER THINGS......
Fastest way to kill blooming Chivalry in your man??? I once held a door for a girl I was seeing. She looked dead in my eyes and said " I am fully capable of opening a big bad door" Later on, I tried to light a cigarette for her. She blew out my lighter and lit it herself. Seemingly silly actions but those type things will crush the greatest hero's of our time. I realize that women need to feel empowered but please don't mistake that with your man trying to treat you special.
How to nurture Chivalry.....
When Daisy and I first met in person, I raced ahead of her to get the door.Her eyes had 2 distinct looks. One was Surprise and the other was appreciation. The same look came about her when I carried her bags and mine, when I pulled her chair at dinner. Over the years we have visited, the surprised look has faded. The look of appreciation has never faded a bit. That is also why I will always and forever be the very best gentleman I can be.
OK guys, don't hate me for the following...
We won't often say it but your appreciation of us for those simple things means a lot to us. Remembering B-days, anniversaries and such...Those are obvious. Remembering to ask you how your day was, The coffee, was it to strong? Hey, you worked late, Had a very hard day, shall I handle dinner? These are things that should be just as obvious.
Forgive me as I stray a bit into pop-psychology... Most men today were brought up and taught by their fathers who passed on old fashioned ideas.
Treating a woman like royalty at that point meant you were trying to bed them...LOL No wonder that there is confusion. Some men actually open doors, give up their seats on buses or even hail the next cab in preference to a woman. These are usually the guys who have learned to appreciate women as more than objects.
This all brings up a very strange issue...When Daisy first broached the idea of spanking with me, I told her that single handedly she could set woman's lib back 50 years. It took me a while to understand the difference. A willing Spankee is so much different than my Mother's generation. The days when a man got angry, frustrated and had no use for reasonable talk and just lashed out. There is a difference....a fine one but still a difference.
Alright, I am rambling.... I hope everybody can gain something from some part of this Babble. As always, I am open to questions, especially if this entry was as confusing as I think it might have been...
OH, I forgot something, the phone call thing...
I hate being on the phone for more than a minute except with Daisy. and calling for a lunch date would be a little longer than she stated but as long as her version of an english one??? Would drive me mad.

I kind of have a self rule thing. I will occasionally check spelling errors but however I first type it is how it stays.
Jay, I miss chatting as well Much love to my beautiful wife Daisy.
Peace, Joy and Cosmic Tranquility,
Davey

5 comments:

Daisychain said...

I giggled all the way through this...you are so very sweet. I hope everyone can see why its so easy to love you and why I consider myself so blessed to have snared you ahead of the millions of american women on your doorstep, so to speak....right under their noses, I stole you away....heehee... I love you, baby!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jay Walker said...

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!
I need an american chiverarly man!
Hey dad, maybe you can bring some over with you when you come home?
Love, tons of it, jay xoxoxoxoxo

Daisychain said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, yes, two cents worth is an american term...lol, in the UK we say, "two pennorth...." which was the slang for two pennies worth....
Love you....
Hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tiggs said...

Oh my gosh, I just loved this... every word, every sentiment, ever expression...

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Hugs and love!

sixofthebest said...

Talking about comparing the English language to American language. I reside in the United States, and love giving spankings to naughty women. On the other hand, I am a 'soccer' fan, called 'football' in merry olde England, and have supported 'Arse'nal for over 60 years. "Up the Gunners" "Come on ye Reds".